Tuesday, January 11, 2011

365 Day 11



Kathleen & I have been best friends since I was 3 and she was 2. That is a very long time! Leaving her was one of the toughest things about moving here, especially as she was pregnant with my godson at the time. Fortunately we are able to maintain our friendship.

When she was younger she went on an exchange to Brazil. She loved it, and thought about moving there permanently, which panicked me. While she was deciding what to do, she would go back regularly. On some trips she brought back some stones. I have many of them, which I plan to have set one day. She also had an 8 carat green tourmaline that I coveted, but it was too expensive for me to buy.

She & Mark ended up on an HGTV show, where they had to redesign their master bedroom to look like a bedroom a designer had done. It was a competition between 2 couples. I made the curtains for them, thinking it would be easy. However, their designer arrived with 27 yards of silk dupioni and 24 yards of blackout fabric. He wanted curtains lined with the blackout, and a matching valence. Holy crap! I should mention that their master bedroom is about 20 ft long, and all window, including a large bay window! It took me FOREVER to make these curtains, and I hurt my wrists doing it because of the weight of the fabric. The worst of it is though - they lost the competition - because the designer didn't like the curtains!!! I felt awful. The only saving grace is that Kathleen & Mark didn't actually like the prize that was given, so they didn't mind losing.

To thank me (not sure why, since I lost them competition), Kathleen gave me the tourmaline, and I had it set before we left Toronto. So it has much meaning for me as well. I should also mention that Mark & Kathleen took us out for one of the best dinners we've ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers